To The North is the Province of Gaza, to the South is South Africa, to the West is Swaziland and to the East the Indian Ocean. Maputo offers urban tourism in the beautiful capital of the Country and of the Province. It is renowned for its wide avenues lined with red acácias and lilac jacaranda trees and offers the visitor not only sun and sea, on the magnificent beaches on the Indian Ocean coast but also trips to the interior to visit the natural park of Maputo, the dam of the “Pequenos Libombos” or as an alternative, the idyllic village of Namaacha.
The Bay of Maputo, together with the rivers Incomati and Maputo define the limits of the capital. The Inhaca Island, in front, is considered World Biological Heritage because of the magnificient multicolor coral reefs and the number of rare species of fish to be found in the waters.
Inhaca, at a 15 minutes fligth from Maputo, provides good tourist accomodation and is an excellent example of what is to be found on the coast; mangroves, marvellous beaches, wild life and luxurious vegetation. Near Inhaca are two uninhabited islands, Santa Maria and the “Ilha dos Portugueses”. Boat trips to the islands offer a wonderful day at the beach plus sightings of the various species of fish found by the coral reefs. The main ethnic groups are Ronga and Changana.
How to Get There
Travel by plane from Europe via Lisbon, or from Johannesburg in South Africa, Kenia and Mauritius where flights are available daily. Travel by car, crossing the borders at Ressano Garcia and Goba when coming from South Africa and at Namaacha, when travelling from Swaziland.
Where to Stay
What to Visit
In the City of Maputo:
– You can contemplate the independence square the bronze statue erected in memory of the first President of Mozambique; Samora Machel, in the same name Avenue;
– The House of Iron, transported to Maputo from the Universal Exhibition of Paris; Av. Samora Machel.
– The botanical gardens of Tunduru on Av Samora Machel with its doorway built in the Manueline style;
– In Square of June 25, every Saturday we have the craft fair where we can find many articles related to the traditions and customs of Mozambican culture,
– The Fort of Nª Senhora da Conceição situated in Praça 25 de Junho (25th June Square) which has been turned into a military museum;
– The Central Market, known as “ Bazar da Baixa “, built-in 1901, supplies fresh fruit, vegetables and herbs and a wide variety of handicrafts can be purchased there; Av. 25 de Setembro.
– The Catholic Cathedral built in 1944 situated in Praça da Independência and facing the Centro Cultural Franco-Moçambicano;
The vast and beautiful fine sandy beaches are an irresistible invitation to swim and soak up the sun. The best known are:
– Catembe, the place where you can get the most fabulous view of Maputo City;
– Inhaca Island, where there are two beaches Farol and Santa Maria and the “Ilha dos Portugueses” famous for underwater diving and coral reefs;
– Macaneta Beach, with its strong waves and white sand, can be reached by boat or by road via Marracuene;
– Ponta do Ouro Beach, at the most southern point of the country, 117 Km from Maputo, can be reached traveling overland by jeep, or by road from South Africa;
– Malongane Beach, 5 Km north of Ponta do Ouro.
Fairs and Events
May – Pilgrimage to Namaacha
August – Theatre Festival
September – FACIM, the Mozambique International Fair
December – The S. Silvestre Race at the end of the year.
Where to Shop
At the local shops in the street next to the main hotels, in the square 25 de Junho to be held every Saturday, in the Shop of the Handicraft Association of Physically Disabled, the Central Market, and on small stalls, visitors can find beautiful examples of local art and craft, wood, bone and stone sculptures, batiks, oil paintings etc. Depicting the culture and spirit of Africa.
The visitor has a number of different activities at his disposal, a golf course, the gymnasium and tennis courts in Maputo itself. Along the coast on the immense beaches and high seas, there is a line and underwater fishing.
In the interior, there are magnificent landscapes to visit and admire. Hunting is available in the official hunting reserves.
Target range shooting is also available. Horse riding at The Horse Riding Centre Flying, parachuting, and model airplane flying at the Mozambique Flying Club (a member of IAF-International Aeronautic Federation).